Where are we?
The Waterman Agricultural and Natural Resources Laboratory (WANRL), commonly referred to as the Waterman Farm, is located on the campus of The Ohio State University at the northwest corner of the intersection of Kenny Road and Lane Avenue. The address is: 2490 Carmack Road Columbus, OH 43210.
History of the Waterman Farm
The farm was originally owned by Joseph Waterman, a prominent and well-respected pioneer and agricultural figure in Franklin County, Ohio. Anna M. Waterman, Joseph's widow, titled the property on to The Ohio State University on July 2, 1923 (Deed Book 753, p.213). At that time, the property had five buildings on it including barns and a corn crib. The original Waterman Home was situated in the area currently occupied by the Rothenbuhler Bee Laboratory. Since that original transfer, four smaller parcels have been added to the site bringing the total acreage to its current 261 acres.
Waterman Farm Today
Facilities and features of the Waterman Farm include the Turfgrass Foundation Research & Education Facility, the Waterman Dairy Facility, the Rothenbuhler Honey Bee Research Lab, the Waterman Headquarters Building (including the Wittmeyer Conference Room), the SENRL Woodlot and acres of irrigated and non-irrigated plots.
Collectively, these facilities provide comprehensive research, teaching and outreach opportunities in the areas of turf science, dairy management and research, entomology, ecological engineering, agricultural systems management, sustainable agriculture, food science, agronomic and horticultural production practices.